Thursday, June 21, 2012

My Favorite Toddler Dress

This is my favorite toddler dress.  I have made a few variations of this dress and it is quick to make and easy to wear.  It has a peasant blouse top and a full skirt.  It is easy to put on a squirming girl and is comfy for her all day. 

This latest version cost only $3.  It was made with $1 of fabric from the WalMart bargain bin, another $1 of berry pink rick rack and $1 of 1/4 inch elastic.
It started life as this simplicity pattern (http://www.simplicity.com/p-2260-toddler-dresses.aspx) view E.



 I then added 2 inches of width to the skirt front and skirt back (4 inches total).  I also shortened the skirt a couple of inches so that it hits well above the knee.  I think this shorter/fuller skirt makes it more age appropriate for my 2 year old. 
Next, I made a sash.  It is one strip of fabric cut into a 5" by 45" rectangle.  Fold it right sides together and sew closed on long side.  Then sew it on the top and the bottom over the waist seam of the dress.  I folded the ends of the sash twice and hemmed.  I then covered both the top and bottom of the sash, where it attaches to the dress, with rickrack.  I also added rickrack to the ends of the sash.



Not sure what this face means?

For this version I used a small pack of fat quarters from Michael's, less than $4.  I pieced the fabric together in various places so that there was enough.  I sewed together strips and squares until there was enough for that pattern piece.  The girl does like this dress, but even a bag of skittles wouldn't make her smile the day I wanted to take pictures. 

No comments:

Post a Comment